- Re-organizing Northern Virginia leagues - First, a quick announcement — because I’m writing for Soccer America now and have a book in the works, I won’t have many posts and podcasts over the winter. But I wanted to take care of something I’ve been trying to do for a while, and it’s a case study of what can be done with a… Read More
- My rebuttal to the dudes claiming Katie Nolan used “alternative facts” about WNBA - ESPN’s Katie Nolan recently argued that WNBA players are underpaid. Now, you could argue that they aren’t, given the WNBA’s inability to bring in a lot of revenue. That’s a discussion worth having. This rebuttal video claiming Nolan used “alternative facts,” on the other hand, is full of ad hominem arguments and alternative facts of… Read More
- Exciting news and a meditation on the mercy rule - I’ve been lucky in recent years to write for a publication I’ve long loved, The Guardian. Now I’m lucky again to write for a second publication that sustained the small U.S. soccer community in the pre-Internet era and continues to be a vital source of news and perspective … Soccer America. My debut piece is… Read More
- RSD podcast: How the ref shortage makes things a little amusing - If I sound out of breath, it’s because I reffed six games this weekend.
- NPSL turnover and why we need youth clubs to build up, not vice versa - Stop what you’re doing and read the excellent SocTakes analysis of turnover in the NPSL. … Are you back? OK. If you’ve followed lower division soccer over the years, you know this isn’t a recent phenomenon. Go back and look up the names in the old A-League on Wikipedia, where some kind soul listed each… Read More
Ranting Soccer Dad is a blog and podcast by Beau Dure, who survived a journalism career (including 10 years at USA TODAY) and gave up newsroom life so he wouldn’t be gone every weekend and miss his kids’ activities, including soccer. He has coached more than 15 seasons of recreational soccer and survived that, too.
Somewhere along the way, he wrote three books about soccer:
- Long-Range Goals: The Success Story of Major League Soccer
- Enduring Spirit: Restoring Professional Women’s Soccer to Washington
- Single-Digit Soccer: Keeping Sanity in the Earliest Ages of the Beautiful Game
A fourth book is in the works, with publication likely in fall 2019.
Check out his work at duresport.com