- The top 100 women’s soccer players, by the numbers - The Guardian has released its annual list of the top 100 women’s soccer players in the world, drawing votes from an outstanding panel. It’s a diverse group of voters. The only U.S.-based journalists on the panel are Jennifer Gordon and Jen Cooper, both terrific choices. (You might also include Jordan Angeli, a former player now… Read More
- The Berhalter hire and why I don’t really care - As the press conference announcing Gregg Berhalter as the U.S. men’s soccer head coach started, I was at The Fresh Market pondering ways to introduce farro into my diet. After listening to a bit of the press conference on delay on Jason Davis’ show, I went downstairs to play the following songs on drums: The… Read More
- How to save the World Chess Championship - Imagine you’re watching a two-legged championship soccer final. The games have been interesting but scoreless. Suddenly, in the 75th minute of the second game, United FC switch formation. FC City freeze, not sure what to do. The City defense responds out of reflex, but United gain the advantage. Finally, the 89th minute, United slice through… Read More
- RSD short: A meditation on losing and coaching - It’s safe to say the last weekend of the season was familiar and yet unexpected. But I’m not just going to mope about it. I’m wondering if we can find any larger takeaways in all this. In other words — it’s not my fault, it’s U.S. Soccer’s. Sort of. (Really, it’s mostly luck.)
- The official Athletes(‘) Council arrivals and departures list, and more - I got clarification on one thing from the past post on the Athletes Council (or Athletes’ or Athlete’s, though the last seems incorrect unless you’re talking about one athlete). Elected/re-elected in 2016 to 2017-21 term (not up for election this time) Gavin Sibayan (Paralympic) Brian Ching (MNT) Brad Guzan (MNT, playing for team as I… Read More
Ranting Soccer Dad is a blog and podcast by Beau Dure, who survived a journalism career (including 10 years at USA TODAY) and gave up newsroom life so he wouldn’t be gone every weekend and miss his kids’ activities, including soccer. He has coached more than 15 seasons of recreational soccer and survived that, too.
Somewhere along the way, he wrote three books about soccer:
- Long-Range Goals: The Success Story of Major League Soccer
- Enduring Spirit: Restoring Professional Women’s Soccer to Washington
- Single-Digit Soccer: Keeping Sanity in the Earliest Ages of the Beautiful Game
A fourth book is in the works, with publication likely in fall 2019.
Check out his work at duresport.com